OrganiVit LTD is committed to leading the industry in minimising the impact of its activities on the environment. We strive to ensure that every aspect of our supply chain meets with the exacting standards of our environmental policy and we spend much of our time thinking about ways we can reduce the impact of our activities. We have committed ourselves to a programme for change to make our carbon footprint ever smaller and to operate in an environmentally friendly way.
Humans impact the environment in several negative ways, both naturally and decisively, we can and should reduce this impact now for the benefit of our future generations. The rise in human population puts excessive demands on natural resources, agriculture and livestock. The desire for luxurious lifestyles and dependence on technology impacts on the environment are unsustainable.
Greenhouse Gases – although occurring naturally, a considerable and controllable amount of emission is produced during the usage of electricity, transportation, cooking, burning and processing of products and materials in various industrial applications. Burning fossil fuels such as natural gas, coal, oil, and petroleum raises the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere which is a major contributor to the greenhouse effect and global warming. We can all help reduce the demand for fossil fuels by using energy more wisely.
Pesticides & Herbicides – use of these chemicals has increased agricultural production and productivity leading to increased profits for the users. Usage of such chemicals leads to several negative externalities including damage to agricultural land, fisheries, fauna, flora and human health.
Landfills – amongst all solid waste, plastic materials account for about 80% of all municipal waste. There are more than ten toxic gases emitted from landfills that can greatly impact the air quality within the landfill vicinity contributing to air quality issues. The primary environmental problem arising as a result of landfills is groundwater contamination from leaches.
The Consequences – of the greenhouse effect is a rise in sea levels around the world and dramatic climate changes resulting in the suffering of agriculture from fluxes of weather. Collectively, increasing risks of severe health implications such as birth defects, low birth weight and particular cancers have been reported in individuals living in close proximity to landfill areas.
Our Commitment – is our pledge by 2020 to do everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint and the detrimental effect it has upon our planet by …
- Utilising solar energy, our processing plant and offices are run 40% solar powered. We aim to increase this to 60% by 2020.
- Utilising the idea of a paperless office – digitisation of accounting transactions reducing paper waste.
- Carefully choosing our web host which is a certified user of green energy & EPA Green Power Partner.
- Use of energy efficient equipment, regularly maintained and smart LED lighting systems that turn off automatically when not in use.
- Sourcing local raw environmentally sound materials reducing the carbon footprint of long distance transportation.
- Focussing on raw organic produce wherever possible.
- Using environmentally friendly recyclable packaging.
- Ongoing training of staff to achieve efficient systems of operation.
- Actively promote recycling both internally and amongst our customers and suppliersMeeting and exceeding all the environmental legislation on recycling and our activities.
- Regularly evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible to minimise waste.
- Selecting supply chain partners committed to environmental standards focussed towards achieving a common goal.
We Believe – that we still have hope for our planet and our future generations – but, we must all change ourselves dramatically, study the effects of global warming and understand what we must do to help reduce global warming and how we can do it. Without delay. Now!